Last weekend, we were in the homemade pizza! pizza! mood.
We had some frozen Whole Foods pizza dough in the freezer just waiting to be eaten. Since I'm not making my own dough, as of yet, so far, hands down, Whole Foods pizza dough brand is my FAVORITE!! It's SO tasty and I just LOVE it!
We dove head on and ended up having pizza both Friday and Saturday night. It was awesome!! Not only because it tasted SO yummy, but, because it was SO easy and I didn't have to prep or do much in the kitchen. SCORE!!! (So helpful when having two littles under 4 to take care of).
When we were living in Virginia, our pre-kiddos days, we always picked up some fresh Italian bread from the Farmer's Market and we grilled "his" and "her" style pizzas. It's been SO long since we've grilled pizza.
This weekend of choice, we just did an "ours" pizza. :) (Although, on Saturday night, D really wanted BBQ Chicken pizza, but we only had one dough left (we used the other the night before) and we didn't have all the ingredients. I was secretly happy because I'm not a BBQ Chicken pizza fan...hehe!).
We had lots of fresh basil to use so Friday night we just did a similar version of a Marguerite style pizza. We just used sauce, mozzarella and basil.
On Saturday night we did just the same, but we added some salami slices to it.
Right before the pizza was done on the grill D just sprinkled some basil on. He did this so the basil wouldn't burn.
Another minute or so later....donzo!!!
D just bought a new pizza peel SO he's been giddy with excitement while using it. His excitement always makes me smile BIG.(Have I mentioned that my hubs is the GRILL MASTER!! Oh yes!! He is!! Anything he grills comes out fabulous. I keep telling him he needs to become a professional grill chef. But, he doesn't listen. Typical!! Ha!!)
Heaven!! The one thing we wanna do different next time is place the pizza under the broiler so we can get the salami a bit more crunchy and the mozzarella a bit more burnt-ish...if that's the right word. :)
Ready to EAT!
It was hard to sit back and watch D slice it up because we were just SO ready to grab it and savor it up!!
And, as you can see, we savored it to the max. Yeah, these pieces didn't even stand a chance of being leftovers for another night. ;)
So if you wanna a quick, easy, FUN and TASTY weekend dinner and you have a grill master in your house (or not...you can do this in your oven too!) then I'm pretty sure you'll LOVE this dish!!
And, hey, if you wanna get even more to connected to your inner Italian chef, you can even make your own dough and pizza sauce (we really wanna do this next!!).
So tell me...
What's your favorite pizza?
Salami, Mozzarella + Basil Pizza
2 Whole Foods, frozen pizza dough, defrosted
1 to 2 tablespoons, pizza sauce
1/2 cup, mozzarella
1 handful, fresh basil
1 teaspoon, dried Italian seasonings
1 - 2 teaspoons, olive oil
1/2 to 1 tablespoon, flour
1. Thaw out frozen pizza dough. Set aside.
2. Sprinkle flour on pizza peel (if not using peel, place flour on some wax paper).
3. Roll out dough to your size of choice. Use rolling pin or just your hands.
4. Spread olive oil on dough. Sprinkle Italian seasonings on top.
5. Spread pizza sauce over dough. Place toppings where you'd like. I do the mozzarella first, then the salami.
6. Cook on grill for 4 to 8 minutes. Cook in oven on 350 for 8 to 10 minutes.
7. Add basil on top right before the last two minutes.
8. Take out and let set for a few minutes. Slice.
9. Place in your favorite serving dish.
10. Turn off all distractions. Sit down by yourself or with your kids, family and/or friends. Take a few deep breaths and say how much gratitude and love you have for your food, your family, your life. DIG IN slowly and SAVOR the deliciousness and SMILE while saying MMMMMMMMMMM…..!
Until next time...
Life IS beautifully tasty...SAVOR it up!